My Host…Rajesh

TMI Tour to Lonar Crater-1My host is a Science Teacher from a private school named “Saraswati Junior College, in Paras, Akola District, Maharastra, India (the geographical location comparison would be similar to Valley Stream, Nassau County, New York State, United States of America).  He is AWESOME!  He has shown so much attentiveness, excitement, and eagerness to meet my traveling partner and I.  I must admit, I am not used to such attention and even offered for him to take us to less historical sites so that I would not feel that I am inconveniencing him too much (to which he quickly responded that it was not an issue).  I realize that we Americans are not used to this type of hospitality and I have to allow the kindness without feeling guilty! Is that not sad?!!!

He is taking us to so many places, and introducing us to so many people.  Rajesh has advised us that we will be receiving alot of attention wherever we go.  Reminds me of how celebrities are treated in the United States.  I look forward to practicing grace and humility.  Among our historic sites will be the Ellora and Ajanta Caves, Balapur Fort, Anand Sagar, Lonar Crater (saline soda lake located at Lonar in Buldana district, Maharashtra, India, which was created by a meteor impact during the Pleistocene Epoch), and the Fort of Daulatabad.  We will work at Rajesh’s school over a four day period, and visit other schools in area: Prabhat Kids (a boarding school), Jageshwar High School (rural school), Urdu medium school (follows the principles of Mahatma Gandhi),  meet with Teachers from Shri Shivaji College in Akola, and attend a full day at India’s famed Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education in Mumbai (HBCSE). HBCSE’s goal is to promote excellence in Science and Math and encourage science literacy throughout India.  We will get to travel by train overnight to Mumbai, which will be an added adventure!

As if that were not enough, Rajesh has arranged for us to visit the homes of prestigious colleagues to eat dinner.  I am most excited about this experience and the opportunity to engage in cultural and educational dialogue from different perspectives.  This is truly Global Education at its best!!

Lastly, Rajesh has arranged for us to have a one hour yoga session every morning during our stay at our hotel.  I so look forward to learning from an expert and hope to gain alot personally.  I am so overwhelmed and grateful for this once in a lifetime experience.  Please come back to my blog read about it while I am living it during the month of July.  Thank you!

2 comments to My Host…Rajesh

1. Ms. Foss says:

Yes, thank you for your insight…you are the person who enlightened me about the caves, and now I am going!

2. Spencer Jonas says:

This looks like a great trip. You will really enjoy it.