Saraswati Junior College Welcome…Fit for a Queen

dancers at saraswati jr collegeOur host, Rajesh, planned a wonderful reception for us at his school, it really was overwhelming and to top everything off, he made it a surprise planned after our initial visit….we were greeted and led in by a band, had honorable turbans wrapped onto our heads, kumkums placed on our foreheads (in Hindu – red turmeric in the place of the third eye, a blessing and a greeting for guests also confused with the term tilak and bindi), shawls placed on our shoulders, and then walked into a field with at least 150 patient students seated patiently waiting for us.

We were seated at a dais in front of the students and given at least 7 bouquets of flowers each and gifts of greetings from every department in the school. The best part came when we were treated to traditional Rajasthani dances by the children…so so  beautiful.  At one point, it poured down raining and it simply could not take away the joy of the occasion, even so, two young boys came over to cover us with umbrellas.  Through the rain, the students did not move, though now seated in the mud. They cheered on their fellow peers and I could not sense one complaint in any of their spirits.  I have never in my life witnessed such respectful children, and this proved to be the case in every single school that we visited throughout our tenure in India. It does still exist (I cannot imagine the culture shock that Teachers from India experience when they come to America.) This occasion was just one of the greatest joys of my journey…it always has been, is, and remains all about the kids to me…here are some pictures of the occasion.saraswana jr college saraswana jr college 2 saraswana jr college 3 saraswati jr college 5 saraswati jr college 6

2 comments to Saraswati Junior College Welcome…Fit for a Queen

1. Gopal B. Sable Jr. College Teacher Saraswati Jr. College, Paras says:

madam it is great honour to us to write something for us on your blog.
    it was your first day to our school that you interact with our students .
    It is very shocking for me that you are explanig the greatness of your heros and your country with help game of coins and encouraging them by giving prizes.
    we miss you so much.

• jfoss says:

Thank you so much for visiting! I will never forget the wonderful staff and brilliant students at Saraswati. I have shared my experience with everyone I know, and I have even made a wonderful picture of the dancing young ladies my facebook picture as a tribute to them. I will never forget the respect and the honor displayed at your school. Keep doing the wonderful job that you are doing, and feel free to email me at jfossbiz@aol.com. Grace and Peace be with you always.