Wow – Fanfare and Culture

As I left my laptop in Frankfurt, I have been unable to post alot, but I just wanted to check in to say that I have never been so honored in the way that the town of Paras and Khamgaon has honored me. Yesterday, we were welcomed to my host’s school with a band greeting us at the gate, the entire school seated on the ground in the field just beyond, flowers, a turbin wrapped onto our heads, -unbelievable.  We were given at least 8 packages of flowers each and many many gifts….it was unreal. I have never been a celebrity before, I can see one going either way: develop a big head, or run for privacy. I suppose a rational mind would find balance with grace.

After being seated, the students danced traditional dances for us like we were queens or something – they were so awesome. As an update, I have since posted pictures of this under “Saraswati Junior College Welcome – Fit for a Queen.”

Today, we visited an Urdu Middle School (muslim) and presented to the students.  I showed a video of my kids at school which they loved. When we left, I was inundated with kids begging me to sign their notebooks. The Teachers had to intervene but I didn’t want to disappoint them.  I hope that my friends and family will help me to send simple things to these schools, like pens and pencils – it would be invaluable.

We ended by visiting the Mahatma Ghandi National School. It was fabulous. The students learn sculpture and must create a sculpture before graduating. The school even has its own museum featuring fabulous art created by former and present students.  We read letters from Ghandi himself, and danced like crazy with the young ladies that performed for us, – the hip action is so awesome. One young lady is extremely talented and I gave her a Radio City Music Hall postcard – I hope she uses her talent to propel her to any heights her heart desires.  I am so blessed. Gotta jump off this pay to use the internet computer, and I will check back soon.

3 comments to Wow – Fanfare and Culture

1. Brendan Francis says:

were the ghandi letters his handwritten work?

• jfoss says:

Yes Brendan, they were his actual letters in his handwriting! He had been to the school many times.

2. Gina Bigelow says:

It is interesting to see how people who exist in a society without the material trappings of life, are indeed the richest in spirit. By contrast, we as Americans are so focused and having the latest gadgets yet we struggle to find daily satisfaction and true contentment in life for want of the next “thing”, whatever it is. We have much to learn.